African ChangeMakers Initiative.
Zambia Chapter Home: http://africanchangemakers.org/zambia/
President Email: email@example.com
Public Relation Officer
Official Name: Republic of Zambia
Short Form: Zambia
Former: Northern Rhodesia
ISO Country Code: zm, zmb
Country Calling Code: +260
Capital City: Lusaka (pop. approx. 1 million)
Other Cities: Kitwe, Ndola, Livingstone, Kabwe.
Independence: 24 October 1964 (from UK).
Constitution: 1991 (amended in 1996 to establish presidential term limits).
Location: Southern Africa, landlocked country east of Angola.
Area: 752,618 sq. km. (290,585 sq. mi.).
Terrain: Varies; mostly high plateau savanna with some hills and mountains.
Climate: Generally dry and temperate, tropical; modified by altitude; rainy season (Oct. to April).
Population: 13 million (2010 census).
Ethnic groups: More than 70 ethnic groups. Main tribes are the Lozi, the Bemba, the Ngoni, the Tonga, the Luda, the Luvale and the Kaonde.
Religions: Christian, indigenous beliefs, Muslim, Hindu.
Languages: English (official), about 70 local languages and dialects, including Bemba, Lozi, Kaonde, Lunda, Luvale, Tonga, and Nyanja.
Literacy: women: 60.6%; men: 81.6%
- Natural Resources: Copper, cobalt, zinc, lead, coal, emeralds, gold, silver, uranium, hydropower.
- Agriculture Products: Corn, sorghum, rice, peanuts, sunflower seed, vegetables, flowers, tobacco, cotton, sugarcane, cassava (tapioca), coffee; cattle, goats, pigs, poultry, milk, eggs, hides
- Industries: Copper mining and processing, construction, foodstuffs, beverages, chemicals, textiles, fertilizer, horticulture.
- Exports – commodities: copper/cobalt, cobalt, electricity; tobacco, flowers, cotton
- Exports Partners: China 25.5%, Democratic Republic of the Congo 13%, South Africa 6.4%, South Korea 4.9%, India 4.3% (2015)
- Imports – Commodities: machinery, transportation equipment, petroleum products, electricity, fertilizer, foodstuffs, clothing
- Imports Partners: South Africa 34.5%, Democratic Republic of the Congo 18.2%, Kenya 9.7%, China 7.3%, India 4.4% (2015)
- Currency: Zambian Kwacha (ZMK)
(Source: Embassy of the Republic of Zambia and others.)